a·dopt: (v) To take into one's family through legal means and raise as one's own child.
Synonyms: accept, implement, take on, embrace, approve, agree, assume

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Refreshed Indeed

Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy-laden and overburdened, and I will cause you to rest. [I will ease and relieve and refresh your souls.]

Matthew 11:28 is a scripture many of us have read often throughout our Christian walk but it feels like I'm reading it for the first time this morning. A group of passionate people just put on the first annual Refresh conference in Redmond, WA and it was nothing short of AWESOME.   Wow, God's spirit led the entire event and the details came together so beautifully that it almost made it look like we knew what we were doing!  If it wasn't for so many witnesses of my stress induced tears the day before, I could have gotten away with one big lie that I actually had something to do with how awesome it was.  Thank God for IT departments, Facilities, an incredible worship team, church staffers who offered up their weekend to help, a crazy talented planning committee, and the most amazing volunteers I have ever met.  


God showed up in a mighty way and people were truly refreshed.  Many left their burdens at the door and God (and our amazing facilities department) graciously swept up the mess last night as the participants walked out lighter and filled with much joy.  Andrew and I were the emcees and that alone is a mighty miracle (more on that later).  We had the honor of interacting with so many folks as God's holy spirit moved and breathed fresh hope into their hearts.  One lady had adopted a sibling set of 4 kids and had not taken a break for four years.  Another gal said she was so burned out and exhausted that she had no intention of going to the conference. However, just three days before, she received a call from CPS and they notified her that all charges were unfounded and they were dropping the case.  She instantly knew she had to come to the conference and with tears streaming down her face, she told us just how timely this conference was.  Still another, and this story especially makes me smile, said she was burned out, listening to rock and roll on the way to the conference, and after the first night was singing praises to our king through Friday night and into the next morning.  Don't get me wrong, there's nothing like a little rock and roll to get ya pumped up sometimes (do people even say rock and roll anymore? I must be showing my age), but she was describing a heart condition that we can all relate to.  When we mistakenly place our hope and trust in our circumstances, we become bitter, burned out, and hopeless until God disrupts our pity party and puts us back on the right track, running after Him with wreckless abandon. I know because I have been there SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many times.  


But what was the greatest miracle of all was this.  Getting back to the whole emcee thing... I had fun!  Yes, Michele with the crooked smile who hates being up infront of people.  I had fun.  I had so much fun I was giddy throughout the conference.  People probably thought I was the biggest dork alive, acting like a 12 year old child up on stage.  (Well, that's mostly normal but I was even more dorky than usual!)  I should have put my hair in pigtails to match the jumping up and down and squeals that seemed to escape my mouth so often.  I used to at least try to be so polished and mature on the rare occasion that I had to speak publicly but not this time. I lost all hope of being polished at 6:31pm when we walked up to welcome everyone to Refresh.  When worshiping, I'd forget that I was heading up on stage in just a few minutes.  That NEVER happens.  Believe me.  When they say that one of the greatest events that causes stress is speaking in public, that would be true in my case.  I'd rather get a root canal.  If you don't believe me, ask my hubby. He's watched me fret, cry, and battle great anxiety before various events in the past. But this one was different.  God's spirit was so alive in that room and His hand was so obviously leading us.  His words were always on our lips. It was FUN to be a part of something so wonderful, so hilarious, and so moving.  


God took burdens away this weekend.  Burdens that we, foster and adoptive parents carry around day in and day out, were removed. Burdens of fear, worry, and despair were removed.  Burdens of failure, shame, and condemnation were removed.  As we all collectively gathered together, our joy was made complete and our hope was set back on a firm foundation.   It was so incredible and so difficult to explain to those who were not there.  I am blessed beyond measure to have been a part of something so much bigger than our little planning team of 8.  


What joy, what joy for those whose hope is in the name of the Lord. What peace, what peace for those whose confidence is Him alone. Hallelujah!





3 comments:

Claudia said...

Michele... I am totally impressed with you and Andrew. I came back Refreshed and that's saying something considering I'm about 140 years older that you.

You and Andrew did an amazing job as emcees and made the event awesomer by doing it.

Being with people with so much passion has renewed mine. Thanks for letting me be a part!

Julie said...

You were a natural up there, Michele! You did fabulous. I would've never known you had been so worried.

It was an all-around INCREDIBLE conference! I raved about it to friends at church today. I'm already recruiting for next year!

Way to go! THANK YOU!

Irniaq said...

I loved reading your blog, Michele, and I'm so glad to get a glimpse of how Jesus met you and Andrew (and so many others!) at the conference! Thanks for trusting him and pouring yourselves out. Hooray Jesus!

Love to you!

-Tammy